Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sea World

This year a lot of the fourth and fifth grade students from my school were paired up with college students from the University of Florida through Project MASCOT.  The university students worked hard with and for our students and the year culminated with a trip to Sea World that our students got to attend completely free.  We needed chaperones from the school so I was allowed to go and take Gavin with me.  Unfortunately Nathan has Cub Scout obligations so he wasn't able to come too.


Here is a picture of our attempt to feed the dolphins at Sea World.  Gavin kept getting scared that they would bite him so he never actually got to touch the dolphins, he just threw fish at them.




Gavin loves to show off his muscles and will often times to random exercises trying to become strong.  For some reason he thought it would be a neat idea to get a picture of his muscles while we were at the underwater dolphin viewing area.  I agree.  It was a good idea.






Here is the tank where we got to look at the smaller sharks and related animals after going through the big tunnel with the dangerous fish.  I was proud that Gavin recognized the barracuda before I did, but also saddened when I realized it was only because he knows them from "Finding Nemo."



We stopped by to see the Clydesdale horses that Sea World has.  They were really big and true to theme park tradition we could have paid a lot of money to touch them, but we didn't.  Thankfully Gavin was more interested in getting something to drink by this time (as was I).



Our entire group was supposed to meet up for the 3:30 showing of Shamu's Believe show.  I have to admit that being a mom has made me crazy because watching Gavin get so excited over the cheesy show did make me tear up.  This was his favorite part.  Afterwards when we left he asked me to get him the shirt and pants that were stuck together for his birthday.  I informed him that it was called a wetsuit.  He has changed his favorite colors from blue and green to black and white, and he wants to surf on Shamu as his job when he gets older.  Wonderful!  It was a good, hot, long day.



No comments: