Sunday, February 8, 2009

Alien Invasion

Here are some pictures of our trip to the Florida Museum of Natural History for their new exhibit Alien Invasion which was actually a dual exhibit featuring artistic photography of the everglades and a showcase of invasive plants and animals that are endangering the everglades.

Gavin in front of some bones, which I think was a mammoth, but it could have been a mastodon... I am not sure it has been a while since I have looked at the plaque for it.



Nathan looking at some of the beautiful photography by Clyde Butcher and Jeff Ripple.  I am always amazed by the beauty that God has given us to experience.  Sometimes we just need to stop and remember it.  



Nathan is coming out of the "caves" into a recreated section of habitat where the kids can do an animal seek.  We found several birds, bugs, snakes and mammals in this habitat.  


I forgot to get pictures of the part of the alien invasion exhibit where it actually had the plants and animals that were endangering the everglades, but I will just mention that Nathan and I were both surprised that the top three threats were actually invasive plants (Old World Climbing Fern, melaleuca, and some sort of Brazilian Holly bush).  Now you know!  Also there was a big burmese python there as well, also invasive.  Keep your pythons on a leash.

1 comment:

Ash said...

Many people do not realize how damaging great house plants or house pets are when they release them (or throw the plant out in the yard) etc. Your blog is so fun to read because I can hear things from your writing that i never knew about you and they make me like you even more;) In fact I have a book tat you would probably like to read based on the invasive species comments you made...maybe in your spare time right?

BTW I would still love to do a Pampered Chef party with you sometime. I am planning a trip down to FL in the first weekend in May...if you had enough time to plan would that work for you?